Saturday, January 6

I'm back....

Okay, so I've been missing for a few months. Nine, I think. I'm working full-time, and until recently, attending college as well, and it's been sucking up my free time. But I'm back now, hopefully for a good while.

The first thing I want to tell you about is a story I saw today on Reuters. This Tuesday, Wesley Autrey, 50, was waiting for a subway in NYC, just trying to get to work. He watched Cameron Hollopeter suffer from a seizure and fall onto the subway tracks, while a train was coming. Knowing that the convulsing man would be killed, Wesley jumped onto the tracks and held Cameron down so the train would pass safely overhead.

Safely overhead may be an exaggeration. Wesley was brushed by the train, getting grease and dirt on his clothes, yet he was unharmed. Cameron's life was saved by the extraordinary act of bravery Wesley committed. It's a great feel-good story, true. I was surprised to hear this happened in Harlem, of all places. I was amused to learn that Wesley's boss didn't believe his excuse for being late to work. But there is something else that Wesley did that caught my attention.

Mayor Michael Bloomburg gave Wesley the Bronze Medallion for exceptional citizenship and outstanding achievement, the first time it was been awarded since 2005. Bloomburg called Wesley a "real hero." Wesley Audrey responded by saying the real heroes were U.S. troops in Iraq.

Wesley, you're absolutely right. But that doesn't mean Mayor Bloomburg was wrong. Wesley Audrey is a hero, because he selflessly and knowingly risked his life to save another's. He's got a lot more in common with the U.S. troops than he realizes.

Labels: , ,